1.24.2008

I Am Afraid Right Now

The phone scares me. I really don't like talking on it and over the past few days I've had to do so much of that. Talking to people I don't know well scares me too. I have done that over the past few days as well... still have more to do. I feel like this kind of stuff is so much easier for other people. They have something to do, so they just do it. They have to call someone to get what they need, so they just call. No nervous freak out before. No waiting until their husband comes home to give them moral support before they make the call. They just make the call. What's their secret?

My job situation is very weird right now. I applied for one job. Had an interview. It went awesome(ly?). What the job would have me do is meet up twice a week for a few hours with this woman who is mentally disabled (but very high functioning -- so high functioning that she has a husband and son). I was told that she was very pushy and very needy and that you had to immediately set rules for her, in terms of calling you. Apparently the last girl that worked with her nearly had a break down because this woman was calling her so many times a day. I thought I could handle it... that is, until I actually spoke to the woman. Without my knowledge my phone number was given to her. She called me several times. Finally I picked up. We talked for about 20 minutes. I did not have a good feeling after the phone call. The next day the woman who interviewed me called. I told her how I felt and that I was very apprehensive about working with this woman. She assured me that she would take care of things. She said that if she was calling too often that I should let her know and her case would be dropped. She asked me just to come meet her. So I did. After I met her I had an even worse feeling in my stomach. After talking with my mom and mother-in-law (who both had the same advice) I've pretty much made my decision on the matter. I'm not going to do it. Before I tell the person who interviewed me that though I have to make another call to someone else just to make sure I have a job. My sister-in-law's father is the head of a department at a college in the area and he may have an office job for me. It's not my ideal job, but it will look good on a resume and its nice and close to where I live. Also, I need to call him about taking a class at his college during the summer, but that's another story.

Moral of the story, I really hate making phone calls. Ugh... I think my heart is about to burst from beating so hard.

//Yellowcard's Afraid

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That sounds similar to me. my friends use to say I had tele-phobia. Har Har. :{

Calling is difficult, it puts knots in my belly and sharp little pings in my chest. Answering the phone, is ok.

I don't have patience to be one on one with someone with special needs, especially over the phone.

I hope you find something a lot less stressful, and more to your liking.

Unknown said...

I was thinking about your X author today. Anything by Malcolm X coudl count?

Jessica said...

funky - thanks for thinking of a book for me... i think i'd like to stick to fiction though.