1.29.2008

We're Gettin' Down Til The Suns Comin' Up

I just need to take a break. I've been reading for the past 3 or 4 hours.

The semester started yesterday. Mondays are insane. I have class from 11:10 am until 8:15 pm. By the end of the night I thought my brain was going to start dripping out of my ears. As mentally exhausted as I was though, I went to the book store and bought (most of) my books... all $253 of my books (not counting the 4 I ordered online and the one that I had to buy earlier in the day from a communist bookstore for $18).

So here's how my Monday went. My first class is Marx. This class is not only my first class of the day, but there are also many other firsts associated with it. For one, its the first time I've ever had a black professor. I've gone to two different colleges, both of which are not private and this is the first time I'm having a black professor... pathetic. Also, this is the first time I've ever come in contact with a communist over the age of 23. No, not my professor, although he has a fondness for teaching Marx, he mentioned that he disagrees with Communism. That communist bookstore I wrote about earlier actually sent two representatives to our class to sell us our books. Schmitty and Travis. Schmitty looked like a working class version of Will Ferrel and Travis looked like Frohike from "The Lone Gunmen" and "The X-Files". Now, I consider myself a fairly tolerant person; you don't shove your beliefs down my throat, and I'll show you that same courtesy, but these guys start spewing their crap all over us and it was pissing me off. They start talking about how they're going to have a speech in their store about how Bush/Cheney should be kicked out of office and get the severest punishments for their war crimes... they kept trying to get us to buy their communist newspaper too. Frankly, it was quite annoying. I think they realize that they're a bit politically pushy so they made sure to make note of the fact that all the text books that they sell are tax free (or rather, they just don't charge tax on it). Last time I checked that was quite illegal, but then again, I'm not a lawyer and haven't really kept up on the tax laws.

As the day went on I came to realize that I had one professor for three different classes. She's pretty awesome so far so, needless to say, I'm happy about that. I had two other classes that seem like they're going to be okay, but I have nothing interesting to post about them.

After I bought my books I went to the train. As usual, I transfered to my third and final train and a man walked on. He was wearing tzitzis and passing out flyers. I assumed he was some crazy Chabad moshichus guy, so I took a flyer. I look down at the paper and see "Christian Brotherhood". I immediately pass it back to him. I turned down my mp3 player so I could hear what he was going to say (I thought he may be a messianic Jew and I always find their views hilariously hypocritical so I decided to take a listen). Here is what he said (not his exact words, but you know what I mean; "Communism and Marxism are bad. Homeless people are the chosen people. What's so great about your child getting the highest score on a game? Should I give him a golden rubber ducky? You should be teaching your children what the schools and religious leaders won't. They're not being taught about capitalism, thank G-d! If you don't know already, you should be worshiping Jesus. My friend Paul was not a human." Yeah, he really jumped all over the place just like that. Finally I got home and slept. It was a long day.

Mon:
11:10-12:25 Marx
1:10-2:25 Foundations in Modern Philosophy
2:45-4:00 Hume
4:10-5:25 Philosophy of Science
5:35-6:50 Intro to Symbolic Logic
7:00-8:15 Metaphysics

Wed:
4:10-5:25 Philosophy of Science
5:35-6:50 Intro to Symbolic Logic
7:00-8:15 Metaphysics

Thurs:
11:10-12:25 Marx
1:10-2:25 Foundations in Modern Philosophy
2:45-4:00 Hume

Oh, and the period and > key on my keyboard fell off so now I have to press on a mushy thing to make a period appear on the screen.

//Cobra Starship - "Guily Pleasure"

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW.
What a day.
No wonder your mind is worn, worn indeed.

Communism, eh, is OK to an extent. It just won't work in today's society. Too many greedy or lazy people, and thus it wouldn't work out.

I get people passing out fliers to me while I am at work. It's great that they're trying to look out for me, but I kind of have to refrain from religious beliefs at work. I'm getting paid to sell you movie tickets, not converse about my relationship with Christ.

Oh well. Hopefully sleeping made you feel better.

frumskeptic said...

i hate it when people come in and preach their points of view. I especially hate it when professors do it. I had an Israeli professor, for political science, and she compared Israeli treatment towards "palestinians" to the way Americans treated the slaves in the Confederacy!!!

Anyway...I'm taking metaphysics 2!!! I'm So scared!!!! AHHH!

Jessica said...

skeptic - i'm really excited for metaphysics... the only problem is that the teacher is BORING and it's my last class of the day... oh well, i'm learning some metaphysics in another class that's actually interesting so hopefully it'll help me out in this class. what other classes are you taking this semester?