3.27.2008

In the Night, Night, Night, I Never Know Why

I've been blogging for a while now, so it's time for the inevitable "I'm a diseased freak" post. Okay, so I just made that up, but I think its a good topic sentence for this post...
About two months ago I went to the doctor. She took some blood. Turns out I have a messed up thyroid. The thyroid hormone is "sluggish". She put me on some medication to help it out and told me to come back in two months to make sure all is good. Tuesday was my appointment. I got back the results today. She had to up my medication a bit (which isn't that scary since she had me on the lowest possible dose). Turns out she had also checked on my anti-bodies this time around. They came back positive which, I think, means that my body created anti-bodies to make sure the medicine doesn't work. Stupid body! Also turns out that not only is my thyroid sluggish, but it can also be hyper-active and perfectly normal at times. Stupid thyroid! I can't say I'd be too heartbroken if it decided to go hyper on me for a bit... But yeah. When I found out about this two months ago, I'm not going to lie, I started crying like a baby. I don't like taking pills. They suck. And now I'm pretty much stuck on pills (and getting a blood test three times a year) for the rest of my life. Stupid blood! I'm used to it now though. Not too scared anymore. And now I get to say "I have a glandular problem" in a funny voice and really mean it, so that's a plus...

//"A Wolf Among Lilacs" - Medicated Kisses

11 comments:

Unknown said...

I agree! Down with pills! And bloodwork, don't even get me started (my husband has been forced to physically hold me down for any and all blood tests.)

Anonymous said...

Holey moley!

You had my nerves all in a tizzy just reading your post.

I'd cry too if I had to have blood-check three times a year and take pills. Man, I don't even want to think of what a panic-state I'd be.

Be a tough cookie!

JAYSUN said...

my friend also has the same problem except she got a HUGE tennis ball lump on her throat where i am guessing the thyroid is. My only medical training is from watching scrubs soo... Well i hope you blood anti bodies and all the stupid parts of ur body become a little more educated

הצעיר שלמה בן רפאל לבית שריקי ס"ט said...

I have a friend with the same problem who takes a light medication. Though I think I actually also have the same problem(!) but don't take any medication. ...what did you do before you took the medication? What did those who proceeded the medication do? Trust me; you can live well without it.

Jessica said...

I actually didn't have this problem until recently. But based on the fact that without regulating this it is much harder to have children, I'm going to take the medication even if I, myself, can live without it.

Miri said...

I went through something very similar last year....it totally sucked, especially since the doctor didn't actually want to put me on medication but still insisted on the constant blood-testing. It's actually a fairly common condition. Anyway, you have my sympathies...

Miri said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
yingerman said...

OK
Spousy was told, no strongly encouraged, to start thyriod meds after our little girl was born.
We thought about it, read about it, asked around.
And deceided that we would wait a bit, 'to see how it goes'
6 weeks later, with no meds, thyroid is acting up to par.
Had she started it woulda never ended.
We think?

Jessica said...

Did your wife have a problem with her thyroid before having a child? Often there are thyroid problems after having a child, but that's not where my problem comes from. I do not have any children yet, nor am I pregnant at the moment. It is MUCH harder to get pregnant when you have an abnormal thyroid hormone level. Since mine is VERY high, I doubt that it would just level out without any medication. And the longer you leave it untreated, it becomes even harder than it already would be to conceive a child.

Anonymous said...

Last year I had a blood test and it came back that I was positive for hypothyroid but it was borderline so I didn't need any medication. My doctor told me that being overweight can cause a hypothyroid and makes it very hard to lose weight. When I went back for another blood test two months later I had lost 5 pounds and my test came back negative.

Jessica said...

Being overweight can CAUSE hypothyroidism? That's the first time I've ever heard that. I know that being hypothyroid can make it very hard to lose weight (and very easy to gain), but I don't see how your weight can have an effect on your thyroid.