4.06.2008

And I Can't Tell If You're Laughing


Corey and I have been watching every episode of The X-Files in order in preparation for the new movie coming out on July 25th. I used to watch The X-Files religiously when it was on in the 90's. Back then I was obsessed with Mulder (mostly because I thought he was hot), but this time around, I'm seeing Scully in a whole new light. Though I'm not much of a swearer, Scully is bad ass. She's been kidnapped several times, been diagnosed with cancer, had people very close to her die and she always manages to keep her cool and come out stronger. She questions things, but only when it is relevant. In other words, she doesn't just question things to question things. There is an educated reason behind her questions. Also, her struggle between her faith in the sciences and her faith in Christianity is so, for lack of a bigger vocabulary word, deep. Scully is strong without being man-ish. She's just a strong woman in every sense of the word. I think I missed all of this first time around because my love for Mulder over-shadowed my love for most of the other characters and because I was junior high/high school age first time around. I'd like to think I've matured somewhat over the years.

//'Paper Wings' by Rise Against

1 comment:

yingerman said...

Always liked mulder better 'cause he knew/saw the truth more often.
I know I know thats the script, true but hey that makes a good show.
As the show progressed Ilike scully more n more cause like you say, she handled it well.