2.06.2008

Closer Than My Peeps You Are To Me

I got a job at a local college (through the help of nepotism, of course). I'm working in the office of one of the departments. Today was my first day. I was only there for 4 hours, but OH MY G-D! I'm sure other people who have worked in offices before would think this day was easy, but I've never worked in an office before. I've been a dog walker and a kennel technician (read: I took care of puppies all day). Neither of those jobs has much, if any, paper work, phone calls, students, etc to go along with it. Here is an actual conversation I had today.
*Phone rings*
Me: ______ Department, how may I help you?
Phone: Hi, I'm looking for the ______ department, but I think I have the wrong number.
Me: Okay, hold please. *Put her on hold and ask a woman I work with* How do I transfer someone to the ______ department?"
Woman I work with: This is the ______ department.

I felt soooooo stupid! Afterward the woman I work with told me not to feel bad at all. "We all go through it." That's true, but I'm the only one going through it right now. Whatever, in a few weeks this will all be just another blog post, so I'm not stressing.... too much.

//That song by Shaggy.. what's it called again? One of the guys at work had a radio on and this was one of the many "mix radio" songs that was played.

5 comments:

Frum Librarian said...

The song is called Angel! It was playing when my husband asked me to go out with him (a looooooooong time ago!) Good luck with the job. Having worked in busy non profits, college admissions offices and libraries, I have definitely been there! You get over the embarassment eventually. My second day in a library this mom chewed me out for not letting her daughter use the computer because she didn't have a library card. I almost cried! Turned out I was right, so I felt better!!

Anonymous said...

first days are always rough, especially when you're the only one. but it sounds more appealing than your last one.

Jessica said...

FL - Oh G-d... if anyone would have yelled at me I probably would have started crying. I almost started crying when the woman I work with told me that we all go through this. Not really sure why. Maybe they were tears of relief that she didn't think I was a complete moron?

jme - oh yeah! definitely A LOT better than the last job I was offered.

frumskeptic said...

First day's at work are terrible!!
I had no idea what they wanted from me at all when I started working. I felt like a complete idiot because I couldn't figure out how to file some of the things. Now I know exactly what I'm doing, and i get to train the next idiots :).

Jessica said...

skeptic - i wish they had someone training me! I've never worked in an office before and my boss said something along the lines of "do whatever. ya know..." oh gosh...