5.11.2008

I Don't Know What's Left To Say

I'm supposed to be writing a 4000 word paper for my metaphysics class right now. Instead, I have decided to write a bunch of random thoughts down in my blog.
In no particular order:
1. The sight of Barak Obama really bothers me. Maybe its because I disagree with his politics, but I think its probably something else. When I was about 12 or 13 years old the sight of Minnie Driver really bothered me. Still not sure why that is, but I have a feeling it is the same reason seeing Obama bothers me.

2. If you don't put down, mock, etc. yeshivish people in your post, you are guaranteed no more than 5 comments (unless of course, you get 3 comments and reply to each separately. Then you'll have 6. woo. hoo.)

3. I was on the phone with my mom the other day and we were talking about when my husband and I finally get our of here (aka New York). My mom said, "You're probably going to miss being around a lot of Jews though." I immediately said, "No" to which my mom replied, "Why?" "Because they're frum on the outside, not on the inside." (Hey, maybe I'll get more than 5 comments for saying that...)

4. Last night I had a dream I went to L.A. with one of my friends to interview musicians.

5. My husband and I are nearly finished with the entire series of The X-Files. We're a few episodes into the 8th season (out of 9 seasons). Just in time for the movie coming out on July 25th!

//Ah-ha's "Take On Me" -- covered by Reel Big Fish, whose version is currently my ringtone and the only song I've heard since pesach ended. Oh, how I hate you, sfira!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

1. American political parties bore me. Lately, commercial media has been following one party to the exclusion of everyone else involved. I suppose any publicity is good publicity.

2. My turn to rant: yeshivish. Most bluntly phrased, I prefer each idea to be conveyed in a single language. Not knowing the translation of a word may be a valid excuse.

3. Do you use frum to mean observant of 1800's rich Polish society's dress code? (I understand that's how much of the black-hatter uniform came to be.) If yes, then I agree there are people who are struggling to live up to the stereotype their uniform implies today.

4. Is that a dream you wish to follow?

5. I remember watching the X-files tv show years ago. I liked it at the time, but I have no thoughts about it today.

Extra: Could you include some blog-like thoughts in your "meta" paper? And then deconstruct them, if that's the right terminology. You probably have a topic, but if not, then maybe explain why blogs are full of complaints, and how negative opinions drive an increase in feedback? I don't know the subject area but am intrigued by disciplines which require much logical thinking.

Jessica said...

1. I hear you on that. Though I have voted in every election possible since I turned 18, I too find politics quite boring.

2. Not quite sure what you mean.

3. Exactly.

4. Not at all. My dreams are rarely dreams I wish I could follow.

5. You should go see the new X-Files movie coming out on July 25th.

Extra: I have to compare the metaphysics of Whitehead to another philosopher. Unfortunately, I don't think anything in blogging would apply to my metaphysics paper. At the end of the semester I post all of my philosophy papers on my website under the "Philosophize" section.

Oh, and Anon, do you have a blog?

Anonymous said...

1. I agree with voting. On the flip side, I disagree when people say you can't complain if you don't vote.

2. I am frequently confused when languages are mixed within a sentence. If I am familiar with the words used, and the choice of language adds to its meaning, then I am often able to follow sentences composed of multiple languages.

Lots of daily and weekly words we use (or think of) belong to Yiddish or Hebrew. How many of the following phrases seem weird on account of being in English? Thank G-d; Have a good week; Happy Good Day (or Happy Holy Day); and Peaceful Sabbath.

/.../

5. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try and check out the trailer tomorrow.

A web site with articles to read? Nice. I have been playing with a couple blogs on and off... one for thoughts, the other for poetry. Lately, my updates have become infrequent.

Anonymous said...

[corrected link]

...the other for poetry. Lately, my updates have become infrequent.

[/corrected link]

realistic viewer said...

I'll be your 5th comment- I dont know you yet, but you seem like you like or would like LOST.

Jessica said...

rv - I do like Lost :-)