5.02.2008

They'll Never Understand What It's Like To Be A Kid Today

I read about a dozen different blogs on a regular basis. When I have nothing to do I'll look at the other comments on my favorite blogs and go to the commentors' blogs and read those blogs. Today I just happened to come across a teenagers blog since their screen name somewhat interested me. This kid was complaining about his family during the seder. He was talking about how he was so excited for the 4 cups because he got to drink alcohol and how he wishes he could drink more. I know that not all teens are like this. When I was a teen I loved the seders with my family as much as I do now, though that alcohol thing I could definitely relate with at the time. But that's just the thing, it was at the time. I can't relate with that anymore. Drinking alcohol just doesn't have that appeal anymore. I drank only grape juice this year and after the second cup I started feeling sick to my stomach. After not having eaten since lunch, then drinking this super-sugary grape juice, my "old" stomach just can't handle it anymore. It's weird. I was a teenager less than 3 years ago and so much has changed in that time. I'm somewhat of a grown up now. I don't have the same issues as even a 19 year old has. Even a married 19 year old, I doubt I have the same issues as. I'm not trying to be an age-ist. I'm not looking down on teenagers. Just saying that I used to feel very close to other teens and now, we have almost nothing in common. When did this all change? When did I become an adult? When did I stop being a teen and stop blaming the "old" people for my problems?

//'Teenage Riot' -- The Ataris

5 comments:

הצעיר שלמה בן רפאל לבית שריקי ס"ט said...

Ha. I feel the same thing. Like George once said on "Seinfeld" "First I was waiting for puberty, and now I'm bald! Where did my prime years go?!".

In regards to wine; come on, you have to admit every dish is much more elegant with a really good wine. And the seder too is much more regal with wine bottles and not grape juice. It's just so...uch!

Jessica said...

I can see the appeal of wine, but it makes me sick to my stomach. A year and a half ago I got really really drunk (my first time being drunk ever) and since then have not been able to drink any alcohol.

Originally From Brooklyn said...

The least you could have done is give a plug to whoever's blog it was that you are complaining about. The kid would probably appreciate that.

Jessica said...

If I could remember the blog, I might.

A Merry Misanthrope said...

age is relative imho, i dont think i was ever a teenager, i never fought with my mom or had the overwhelming desire to wear glitter eyeshadow and talk about boys.
my first drink will probably be under my chuppah, there's honestly no appeal for me. I'm much to big a control freak to willingly let my guard down.

i think i saw this blog it's 'pissed off teen' or something, I only saw it once but he comes off particularly vacant.