4.10.2008

Exterminate The Whole Human Race

Let me start off by saying that philosophy of science has almost nothing to do with philosophy. That being said, yesterday, as I was sitting in my philosophy of science course my professor says something along the lines of, "Don't forget. Class participation is part of your grade. There are a lot of you in here that have spoken so little that I don't even know your names. Think about that." So I thought about it and what came into my head first was Good. I'm glad you don't know my name. That way it makes it that much harder to call on me during class. I was inspired after he said that though and wrote a blog post in my notes. Here is said blog post:

Class participation. Something I do not pay much attention to. I find it interesting that some teachers take "class participation" into account for your final grade in the class. What's the point? If I have nothing to add to the lecture - no questions, no comments - what am I supposed to say? Should I just say something faux-intelligent like so many of my classmates like to do? Or maybe I'll go with "So what's your opinion on this, Professor?" If I have nothing relevant to say, then I think its better that I keep my mouth shut. Would you rather I run my mouth and not actually pay attention to what's coming out of it? I'd like to know your opinion on that, Professor. If I am going to get a zero for lack of participation, then people who say irrelevant things should also get no credit. In fact, they should get points deducted. Not only for taking away precious class time, but also for making us all dumber for having to listen to their pseudo-philosophical drivel.


//'Astro Zombies' - The Misfits

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes!
I agree completely! I have never understood that.
If I am not sleeping, just paying attention with my mouth shut, isn't that good enough? I hardly have anything revelant to say... It's ridiculous to grade someone on their "anti-social" behavior.

Anonymous said...

http://smbc-comics.com/comics/20070830.gif

frumskeptic said...

lol. I write blog posts in my notes all the time...hehe :)

I almost never participate I read out loud all the time in one of my classes to boost my grade, I like the class, and the other kids that always participate read so slowly I lose patience and then find myself spacing out! lol

but Otherwise, I never participate. Since like 5th grade my teachers have been complaining that I'm not participating enough in class. Now In college, no one tells my parents anything and I'm still the same, but now it can effect my grade as much as 15% percent...I'm not gonna change, and I really don't care.