4.14.2008

I Couldn't Say Why

So many different things go on in my head right now. I've decided to take a break from the paper I was writing (It's about Descartes and Leibniz's philosophies of the mind-body union. Some pretty interesting stuff.) to write about the various things going on in my head.

I just deleted about 40 lines of text. I was going to write about what was important to me religiously because I've noticed that many of the Jewish bloggers I come into contact with speak in the negative about religion. Not that they're anti-religion, but it's what they don't want to do or what they don't agree with, and not what they do want to do. I wanted to know what people consider positive about religion and the positive things that they find important in their beliefs. But as I wrote I was worried that people would think I was writing specifically at or against them, and I wasn't. So I started over and that brings us to the present and to my next topic.

I receive Chabad's Daily Dose of wisdom in my inbox every morning. When I first started getting this a little over a year ago, the e-mails were interesting and thought provoking. The few lines of text enlightened me, I guess. But lately they have seemed kind of silly. I think they may have changed the author (It's based on the Rebbe's teachings, but its someone else writing out those teachings). (Oh, just for the record, I'm not Lubavitch -- just a fan.) Anyway, today's Daily Dose was especially dull dumb incoherent.

" G-d knows all before it occurs. More than that: It is His knowledge that brings all events into being.

But we still have free choice.
You claim this is illogical. I ask you: Knowledge of existence before any thought of any thing exists is logical?
When we talk about the Source of All Existence, our principles of logic no longer apply. We don't understand a thing, because there is no understanding."

I was okay with this until that last part of the last line. "[T]here is no understanding." What the hell?! Is this guy serious? What's he doing sending out the Daily Dose everyday if there is no understanding. Now, maybe I'm taking this out of context. Maybe he's saying that we can't understand how G-d can know everything, yet at the same time we have free will and in that, there is no understanding. But based on the first part of the sentence -- "We don't understand a thing" -- it makes me think I'm not taking it out of context at all. Whether you agree with the G-d knowing/free will thing, what is your take on that last sentence? Am I taking it out of context or is the author just hoping no one will understand so he won't be fired for spreading crap?

//'Gone' by Bouncing Souls -- this was one of my favorite songs growing up. Thanks to frumpunk's new header (which is a different Bouncing Souls song), it put this song back in my head and, as soon as I get a chance to download it, onto my mp3 player.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

No, it's great.
Until you understand that there can be nothing to understand then nothing you understand can be understood in a way that you will understand.

Anonymous said...

Why don't you just leave a comment on that Daily Dose and let the author answer for himself?

BTW: They were all written a few years ago. Same author for all of them.

Lubab No More said...

> I wanted to know what people consider positive about religion and the positive things that they find important in their beliefs.

Good question.

I started writing a response but then I just went and wrote a whole post on my blog:

http://lubabnomore.blogspot.com/2008/04/party-in-city-where-heat-is-on.html