11.13.2007

I'll Be Gone In a Minute Or Two

I moved to New York last year (September 2006). I lived in a basement apartment in Flatbush for a month. I hated it. My roommate was sweet as anything, but the tenants were a-holes masquerading as frum/respectable Jews. After a month I couldn't take it anymore and moved out. Only problem was, I had no back-up apartment. So I asked all my friends in New York if I could stay with them. Only one person was actually able to take me. So for a few weeks I lived in Boro Park with one of my friends and her parents. It was awesome. Her mother made me smoothies every morning. It was around sukkos time, so they invited my husband (who was my boyfriend at the time) over for a meal. We were all sitting in the sukkah and it felt really nice. It almost felt like I was introducing him to another set of parents. Corey got along especially well with my friends father, but that's another story that I may or may not tell. Anyway, the reason I brought this up is because of all the people who leave blogging. They say that they just don't need to anymore or it takes up too much time, etc etc. Well, when we were in the sukkah in Boro Park with my friend and her parents her father happened to mention something about keeping a journal. He said that he wishes he had kept one when he was younger because these are the best times. I said that I've tried keeping journals, but I always give up on them. It becomes like a chore. He said that that's what happens to most people. You don't need to write something amazing with every entry. Even if you just write "today was a good day", its good. Just so you can remember what it was all like at the time it was happening... before you get too old and forget. I just wanted to share that. Take from it what you will.

1 comment:

Mottel said...

When I was younger I always wanted a journal -but in my minds eye, a journal needed to be written in fluid and elegant script . . . something that my block letters always lacked.
Now with my blog I can write as much as I wish.

Looking back at all of my travels through Poland, Lithuania, Ukraine etc. etc. I'm glad I have a vibrant record of my thoughts and photos of the time.