11.08.2007

You Could Be the Question Killing Me, Or the Answer That Will Set Me Free

I'm taking a course on classic Greek philosophers. We started off with Plato's 'Gorgias'. Not bad... Then went on to Aristotle's 'Nicomachean Ethics' where I fell in love with learning Aristotle. No, I did not just say that I agree with everything Aristotle says, but I love trying to figure out what he said. Now we're onto a text-book-like book called "Hellenistic Philosophy". We're reading the stuff in there that Epicurus wrote. All I have to say is BORING. Maybe I'm missing something, but there's nothing here. What he wrote down is exactly what he meant. There's no looking deeper. He says straight out what he's talking about and I don't like it. I'm a philosophy major because I like to look beneath the surface, not just have things thrown directly in front of my face.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"You must not kill" can, in and of itself, provide a multitude of reasons behind which to hide one's morality (indeed, if it can be called such). Just one way in which one's face can and may well be thinner/deeper than anothers. If you're looking for a deeper philosophy, look towards Lao Tzu or other cultures that favoured the spiritual...surely not one that practices phronesis.